Students and faculty mourn the loss of a MSC student killed in Brooklyn

A Morrisville State College student was killed in his hometown of Brooklyn, New York, on Dec 4.

According to the New York Police Department, 20-year-old Ian McDonald was found around 5:30 a.m. on the Prospect Park Expressway. Though he was found with severe injuries indicating a hit-and-run, a cause of death has not yet been determined. The NYPD’s Highway Patrol Collision Investigation Squad is currently conducting an investigation.

Candles and photos put up in front of the STUAC on Dec. 4. Photo by David Flores
Candles and photos put up in front of the STUAC on Dec. 4.
Photo by David Flores

McDonald was a criminal justice student, a member of the Caribbean American Student Association and an offensive lineman on MSC’s football team. As an active and outgoing member of Morrisville’s community, McDonald’s memory was commemorated on campus in several instances.

A vigil was held by students at the entrance of the Student Activities Center on Dec. 4 around 9 p.m. Candles were lit and pictures of McDonald were put up in remembrance by friends and teammates.

“He was always smiling, a person full of energy,” said Marcus Jackson-Conner, small business and entrepreneurship student and wide receiver on the football team. “If he saw that you were down he’d do his best to pick your head up and make you smile.”

A statement was released by MSC on Dec. 5 extending prayers and thoughts to McDonald’s friends and family. Later that day, an official vigil was held in the STUAC lobby from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Posters were available for people to write messages to McDonald’s family as well as attach photographs if they wished. Cards were also accepted.

Students Writing to Ian Mcdonald's parents during his remembrance event on December 6th. Photo by Paige Biviano
Students Writing to Ian Mcdonald’s parents during his remembrance event on December 6th.
Photo by Paige Biviano

“Ian was a different type of person filled with nothing but love,” said Darrel West, individual studies student and MSC running back. “He was really a good person and all he wanted to do was to please everybody. Ian affected a lot people with his unique personality. My brother for three years, he willdefinitely be missed throughout campus. Rest in peace.”

The vigil was packed with McDonald’s friends and peers. Though many in attendance were deeply saddened by the circumstances of the gathering,

there was no shortage of kind words about McDonald.

“The one thing I think I’m going to remember about Ian is his smile, I think that’s the one thing that stands out,” said Joshua Hawkins, a business student and member of CASU in an interview.  “I’ve been here six years and I’ve seen many people come and go, but Ian stood out because he always had vision.”

A GoFundMe campaign was started by McDonald’s longtime friend and SUNY Albany student Jade Fenton, to help McDonald’s mother with funeral costs. The page has already raised $9,435 out of its $10,000 goal and has been shared on Facebook 1,8000 times.  According to the GoFundMe, McDonald’s funeral is expected to be held on Dec. 18.

Morrisville has emphasized the message that no one is alone at this time and can reach out for help and support on-campus at any time. Counseling services are available to those affected during this time at the Mathias Health Center. Appointments can be made by walking in or by calling (315) 684-6078.

Reporting by David Flores and Jalen McCray.

You May Also Like