Counselors conversed about physical and mental health issues (Correction)

img_6680Depression can affect any member of society from grandparents to children. Morrisville State recently held an event to focus on the disease and how students can cope with it.

MSC hosted its annual outreach program for counseling Oct. 20 so the campus community could learn about physical and mental health issues including depression and anxiety.

Tables in the multipurpose room of the Student Activities Building were filled with brochures about exercise and depression, how to deal with stress and 25 ways to get a better night’s sleep. Participants had the option to fill out a self-assessment, which contained questions mostly focused around the attitude and actions of an individual.

“The depression-screening itself is a self-assessment about your mood,” said Sara Mansfield, Morrisville’s senior mental health counselor, in an interview. “After, students would have a brief meeting with a counselor to go over their results individually.”

Anxiety disorders are among of the most common mental health problems on college campuses, according to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America. Mansfield believed the screenings could benefit students because stress is at an all-time high for them. The event allowed her to meet students in an informal way so they could get to know about the counseling services offered on campus.  

“Students are more than welcome to reach out to our services,” said Mansfield. “The counseling services are free for students and confidential.”

Aside from the self-assessment, students had the option to get a massage and take a flu shot as well. Some said the ability to do both at the same time was a time-saver.

“The flu-shot is one less thing you have to worry about,” said Phyllis Winas, a licensed practical nurse at the Student Health Center, in an interview. “Overall physical health is a preventive measurement.”

The event included giveaways including mood rings, free brochures, pens and stress balls. Mood rings are designed to change colors based on whether the wearer is angry, happy, relaxed or stressed. Health counselors believe treating the body will treat the mind.

“Emotional health creates a state of relaxation, alleviating symptoms of anxiety, stress and depression,” said Patricia Samson, senior mental health counselor, in an interview.

Students who attended thought it was an important subject that should be discussed because it’s reality on campus.

“Having this event was great because depression and anxiety is a serious thing, especially at college,” said Brittany Render, an individual studies student, in an interview. “Students could easily feel stressed and it’s important for them to have someone they can turn to.”

Those who would like counseling or further information can visit senior mental health counselors Sara Mansfield or Patricia Samson at the Matthias Student Health Center. Students who would like to enroll in counseling can schedule an appointment by phone or walk-in. They offer same day crisis but there are no walk-ins. 

You May Also Like